Sunday, September 16, 2012

Assignment for 9/17/2012



I really enjoyed this reading from Howard for this week. It is interesting to see how someone views the future with respect to social media. I like how the chapter first presents the affects social media has had on us in the past and today. I agree that there is an unwritten rule on Twitter that people follow without even realizing it. When we read things on Twitter, we analyze it, and then retweet it if we think it is important or appealing. It also true that when someone does abuse this unwritten rule, that they may be shut out from tweeting and may feel as if they do not belong.

What I also found interesting about this chapter and what I definitely agree with is that technology changes continuously and quickly. Technology will always be evolving and changing and people seem to evolve with the technology. However, what is interesting about this is that even though technology changes rapidly, people seem to not change as quickly. When technology changes people have to essentially move away from the technology of the past to appreciate and understand the technology of the future; which in some cases, may take a while.

 Even though technology is changing, it still needs to provide people, according Howard, with the necessary tools to be successful. Technology needs to not only do that, but also needs to make sure it improves our intelligence. Some people believe that technology is essentially making us less intelligent because we are relying on it more and more. This can be a problem with some internet sites, such as Google, because it gives all the answers instead of helping people to get the answers on their own. In the future, social media and all technologies should focus on improving our intelligence instead hindering it.

This brings about the concept Howard provided of control vs. creativity. I agree with Howard that in the future, this could cause friction. It is becoming easier for people to post what they want on the internet and find what they want, without making much of an effort. Thus smart decision is becoming less important. In the future, social media should be a place where people can make smart decisions and think critically instead of letting social media control our decide our intelligence and creativity. 

4 comments:

  1. I like your bit about the unwritten rules of twitter. Especially with the upcoming election season I find myself unfollowing twitter users who post false or misinformed tweets. Your part about people not changing as quickly as technology was unique and enlightening. Along with your point that argues how technology is making us less intelligent, it is also important to think about the effects social media has on our friendships. Some would say that it hinders our real-life friendships and others would say that it enhances it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your statement about technologies giving us the tools to be successful but also improving our intelligence is an interesting one. I'm reminded of the days before cell phones, when I had to memorize the phone numbers of all of my friends. Now, my phone remembers them for me. If I lost my phone, I wouldn't be able to call anyone because I don't know their number. It's pretty similar to remember your username and password so you don't have to spend time logging in. But after a while, you don't remember what your user name or password is because you never actually use them.

    I can't think of a technology that also helps to make us smart. I liked your Google example. Yes, it gives us all the answers. But are they good answers? I'll be teaching my ENG 103 students about how to recognized non-credible sites next class period. Just because Google gives it to you, doesn't mean you want it. But it's still a situation where the technology doesn't teach us to be intelligent. We have to teach ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked the idea of the unwritten rule on Twitter, and I feel like almost all of social media has unwritten rules. Once we become familiar with different social media sites, we figure out what the purpose of the site is and how to properly use it. So, in a way, there is a "norm" for social media, and we must act accordingly or we will not belong and may even have our account deactivated, just as in Twitter.

    It's funny to think about how technology changes so quickly, and we just move right along with it without changing very much. When new technology arises, we instantly want that next best thing, so we get it. Even though it may be totally different than the old version, we don't really upgrade ourselves as the technology upgrades.

    I've also had the scary thought of technology making us stupid. I ALWAYS go straight to Google when I don't know something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Heidi's point about cell phones. In some ways, the argument could be made that society has been dumbed down as it has become easier to function with one another as individuals. I also think it is fascinating how unwritten rules are communicated. Through trial and error, or through simple visual evidence, these things are passed along to new users in ways that are constantly adapting to the ways people utilize different avenues.

    I can't even watch a football game anymore without technology creeping in. My dad, my grandpa, and I used to watch games all the time and talk about how players were playing or teams from the past. Part of the allure of those discussions was trying to recall stats, players, and coaches. Now, we just go to phones or laptops constantly. It is still fun to watch games, but having sure answers isn't nearly as fun as guessing and sharing those moments together.

    ReplyDelete